The Citrus County Sheriff’s Office (C.C.S.O.) Citizens’ Academy is a hands-on, interactive, behind-the-scenes look at the inner workings of your Sheriff’s Office. This 12-week educational series of classes is taught by experienced sheriff’s officials who share their unique perspective on law enforcement. Best of all – it’s free!
The Citizens’ Academy is hosted by Lt. Mike Kanter, who offers a wealth of knowledge with his 20+ years in law enforcement. The Academy, which is offered three times a year with both a daytime and evening class option, even includes three field trips! Students will learn about the many different facets of the C.C.S.O., like:
- Patrol – what a deputy does, how the C.C.S.O. patrol section is organized; what weapons and tools a deputy carries, including a discussion about tasers; and more
- Criminal Investigations – what types of detectives and units (cyber crime, sexual predator, etc.) we have at the Sheriff’s Office, what they do and more
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC)/911 – includes a field trip to the EOC for an inside look at the role of Communications Officers and Dispatchers
- Traffic – who works traffic, what traffic deputies do on a daily basis
- Sheriff’s Specialty Units – like Aviation, Marine, K-9, the Dive team, the Bomb unit, Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team (SERT), and more. Includes a field trip to Aviation so participants can see these teams in action
- Identification and Evidence – get an inside look at fingerprinting and crime scene investigations
- Vice & Narcotics – what this unit does and what types of issues they encounter
- Crime Prevention – what it is, what we do to help citizens prevent crime
- Community Resource Officers (CRO) – what the program is all about and what CROs do
- School Resource Officer (SRO) program – learn about what our SROs do in the schools and how they interact with kids
- Training – includes a field trip to the Withlacoochee Technical Institute (WTI) to see our field training officers in action. Experience what it’s like to face a criminal with a gun!
- Plus, an inside look at legal issues, finance, human resources, data processing, the victim advocate program and MORE!