The Citrus County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) Citizens’ Academy is a hands-on, interactive, behind-the-scenes look at the inner workings of your Sheriff’s Office. This 12-week educational series of classes is taught by experienced sheriff’s officials who share their unique perspective on law enforcement. Best of all – it is free.
The Citizens’ Academy is hosted by Heather Yates, who is the agency’s Director of Community Relations. The Academy, which is offered three times a year with both an afternoon and evening class option, even includes two field trips! Students will learn about the many different facets of the CCSO, like:
- Patrol – what a deputy does, how the CCSO patrol division is organized, what weapons and tools a deputy carries, including a discussion about tasers; and more
- Criminal Investigations – what types of detectives and units (cyber crime, sexual predator, etc.) we have at the Sheriff’s Office, what they do and more.
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC)/911 – includes a visit to the communications center for an inside look at the role of Communications Officers and Dispatchers.
- Traffic – who works traffic, what traffic deputies do on a daily basis.
- Specialty Units – like Aviation, Marine, K-9, the Dive team, the Bomb unit, Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team (SERT), and more. Includes a field trip to Aviation so participants can see the teams in action
- Forensics Unit – get an inside look at fingerprinting and crime scene investigations
- Tactical Impact Unit – what this unit does and what types of crimes, they encounter
- Community Resource Officers (CRO) – what the program is all about and what CROs do
- School Resource Officer (SRO) program – learn about what our SROs do in the schools and how they interact with kids.
- Training – includes a field trip to the Withlacoochee Technical College (WTC) to see our field-training officers in action. Experience what it is like to face a criminal with a gun!
- Plus, an inside look at legal issues, finance, human resources, information technology, media relations, the victim advocate program and much MORE!